Saturday, May 24, 2008

To the fashion industry

You can really make shopping unpleasant. Some of it's not your fault--you can't control traffic or the number of people trying to crowd into your stores--but a lot of it is.

Not everyone weighs ninety pounds. I know, it's hard to believe. And there are even fewer people who weigh ninety pounds and still have big chests. It might be a good idea is you started making less clothing for those people and tried to focus on the average sized among us.

Vanity sizing does not make me feel smaller or better about myself. It just annoys me, because I like to be able to go into a store, grab a size six, and walk out. Preferably without trying it on. That doesn't work when the pair of shorts or jeans or whatever that actually fits me is labeled as a size two. I know that I'm not a size two. I'm not stupid. You don't have to try and flatter me (except by making clothes that look good on people weighing more that 90 pounds).

It would be a good idea for you to make shirts labeled as different sizes actually be different sizes. and not just in the broadness of the shoulder. Usually, people of two different sizes aren't different because of the broadness of their shoulders. I don't know what gave you that impression. But I hate trying on two shirts and having them look exactly the same where the problem was in the first place.

It's summertime. Don't sell only black clothes. Trust me.

You sell approximately five sizes: extra-small, small, medium, large, and extra-large. What about us poor people who are swimming in one size but can't breathe in the next one down? Help, please. H&M had the right idea--they used numbers for all the clothes, including t-shirts. But then the shirts were all essentially the same size. Not helpful.

The character of your store is not helped by clerks who are a) loudly gossiping or b) yelling at each other. (Customers yelling at each other are even more annoying, but that's not your fault.) It doesn't help if the clerks are overattentive, either, or if they seem annoyed if you ask for a dressing room.

About dressing rooms: it would be nice if you would make sure that your dressing rooms have at least two or three hooks for hangers and shelves or a bench wide enough to put a bunch of clothes on. A stool doesn't really work, especially if it takes up about half the space in the room, which, in theory, should be big enough for an average-sized person to, you know, try on clothes in.

The idea of putting little numbers near the tops of hangers is good. But don't bother if you're not going to put the right sized clothes on them. It only makes matters worse.

But thank you for having sales Memorial Day weekend. I got four pairs of shorts, five shirts, and one tank top for about 110 bucks. Now I don't have to go naked all summer.

~ps

1 comment:

CP said...

OMG- I thought it was just me! You are so right about the size thing, that the only difference is the shoulder width! I've thought that SO many times :)

Oh and what I hate is some stores that vanity size their bras. I had no idea that I was really one cup size smaller than I actually was-- it was all because the only brand I had ever wore made me think I was bigger...so depressing.

maternity clothes are the worst of them all, no matter what people say about how they are actually fashionable nowadays- I'd rather wear a tarp!

ok, sorry for the vent comment :)