Saturday, October 4, 2008

My school is crazy.

In my math class, we have rolling chairs (really nice ones, too!). The other day, my math teacher, who's absolutely brilliant and is actually good at teaching, was standing facing the board writing stuff down for us. Meanwhile, two guys were shoving each other around on their chairs. Suddenly, one of them slammed into the back wall. The whole class got very quiet and watched our teacher to see what his reaction would be. He didn't even blink, kept writing, and said "Gee, I wonder what's going on back there."

*****

In the hallway, I heard some girl yelling at a guy "I don't want to be your derivative!"

*****

Again, my math teacher: In class, he asked for suggestions on how to solve a problem. A kid suggested he express tangent in terms of sine and cosine. He grinned and said "That's a good guess, but it COMPLETELY FAILS."

*****

In AP Chem, my teacher who happens to be the chair of the admissions committee, was talking to us about how bs it is that colleges claim to look at the "whole student". He grinned and said "I always get that from parents whose children have mediocre grades and low test scores!"

*****

Yeah, we're weird.

3 comments:

Viviana said...

LOL to that second anecdote. You can really construe weird things from math. Like in 7th grade, we were learning how to rationalize the denominators, and my algebra teacher was like, "so if some guy goes and bothers you, tell him, 'Shut up or I'm gonna rationalize your denominator!'"
Wasn't there also this moment your math teacher said that cusps are evil, and supported that statement by touching it and going "ow"? Haha.

Anonymous said...

I can just picture the Feds coming in, trying to arrest this guy for sexual harassment, except upon receiving the details of the case, the officers just scratch their head and leave bemused.

That reminds me of this Korean talk show, where someone randomly brought up how hard a time they had learning factoring quadratics in middle school, to which this other guy replied "factoring? what's that?" and everyone laughed at him. I guess Korea is a nerdy country...

CP said...

sound entertaining :) I love the derivative comment!