Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I hate hate hate group projects

Seriously. I think one group project per class per year would be plenty to teach us how to coerce and blackmail people into DOING THE DAMN WORK. And honestly, the only person that actually learns anything about the topic overall is the one who gets to pull her hair out for TWENTY-FOUR HOURS waiting to compile everything into a semi-cohesive presentation.

So here's what happened. A project was assigned last Tuesday or Wednesday. My group decided that by this Wednesday night, everyone would send their sections to me to compile. And for this one, the compiling is actually work, because my teacher is very picky about organization and wants it all nice and tightly composed. Since we had off today and again tomorrow for the Jewish holiday so I would have plenty of time to put the stuff together so we would be ready to present on Friday.

I've gotten one. One out of three, a full day after the deadline that WE ALL AGREED ON.

Just before dinnertime, I im'ed them to see what on earth was going on. One used the Jewish holiday as an excuse. No. That really doesn't work, on so many levels. First, we had a half-day last Wednesday. If you're that pressed for time--and you don't do a sport or have any real time-eaters that I know of, so unless something's been going on, you're probably not as busy as I am--you could have done it then. Or, I don't know, over the WEEKEND???? Come on. And you obviously knew that you would be tied up with religious stuff all day and last night because you were talking about it in Chem last week. Seriously.

The other guy didn't bother me as much. He just said he was sorry it was late and he would get it to me as soon as he can. He didn't even attempt an excuse, which goes over much better with me.

Argh. Still nothing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, this is precisely why they want more and more group projects. You'll find yourself having to deal with far stupider people as you grow older. My advice is to scrutinize potential in-laws before you get married.

Viviana said...

ahhhh i felt the same way last year in history - except i was stuck with the same group the entire year. :(