Sunday, September 7, 2008

Dealing with Jerks

I'm on the varsity tennis team.

Assuming tryouts go well, I'll be on the varsity debate team.

But I'm ready to kill the captain of the debate team. I told him that, because of tennis, I wouldn't be able to make afternoon practices. He called my "sports thing"--that I love, despite my complaining--a "problem" and said that he "supposed" it would be okay if I couldn't make it.

At that point, I decided not to remind him that I went to more practices than he did last year, because I came to nearly all of them after tennis ended.

I told him that the only way I could get out of tennis would be to lie to my coach, and I would only do it if he were desperate. By desperate, I thought it was implied that it was an absolute LAST resort. By which I mean only if there is absolutely NO other time we could do it. He sends back: Get ready to lie! We need you to do at least one mock debate!

So I asked him if we could find some free time during the day to do a mock debate. He sends me this:

Don't think you can dictate terms to me. Having a mock debate during school would be extremely difficult to do, considering that both [co-captain] and I are seniors with extremely full schedules and are just busy in general. Not only that, but we'd have to find a time that works for you and [your partner] and whatever team you're facing. If you make the Varsity Team, you will have a responsibility to it and you really can't put us second like this.

We're not asking you to come every day like your tennis coach; in fact, I'm making an extreme exception in your case by letting you off on most practices. If you didn't already have a strong record with the team, I wouldn't even consider you and [your partner] for Varsity.

If you can miss that break Monday without being thrown off the tennis team, do it. Don't send me another email until you ask your coach.

Jesus. He doesn't even think that there might be other repercussions besides getting kicked off the team. Like, you know, not getting to play in matches. And that "pretty full schedule is complete BS. I checked his schedule on facebook. He has more frees than I do. So here are the things I would like to say to him right now.
  1. Every single thing you have said about tennis just drips with disdain. That really offends me. Tennis is a big part of my life. Now I think you're even more of a jerk than I did before.
  2. I suppose you've never been on a real team before, but the role of a captain is to unify the team and get everyone into the right frame of mind to win. Not to alienate team members.
  3. Call your bluff. Who the hell is going to take our place if we're not on the team? If you didn't notice, there were about three JV teams last year. You want the sophomores who only came to two jv debates on the varsity team?
  4. I tried out for varsity last year. My tennis wasn't an issue. So you're making up rules?
  5. If you had been sitting next to me when I got this email, I think I would have hit you.
At that point, I talked to my dad. He said I'm not allowed to miss any tennis practices OR matches.

So here's what I'm going to do:
  1. Talk to him.
  2. Talk to the advisor.
  3. Talk to my guidance counselor.
  4. Pray for rain.
Chances are, this guy will back down, but this is seriously stressing me out. I really don't need more stress right now.

I hate this. I really hate having to argue with people outside of debate and model un. I hate that he's being so obnoxious. I hate that he can't understand that tennis deserves my time just as much as debate does.

3 comments:

CP said...

omg he sounds like an arrogant prick! What a jerk! Like he's so dedicated and your just a "hop on" or something. I say hire the school bully to punch him in the balls after school. lol.

Viviana said...

oh wow...that really does put you in a quagmire. hope it goes well (and btw, we did get rain ^^)

Jay said...

Oddly enough, he vented to me about the same exact thing today - right after hurling his pen at nothing in particular and inadvertently showering another junior with blue ink. After having the privilege of hearing both sides of this issue, I advise you to approach him again, and this time he'll be a little more reasonable in his negotiations. At the very least, he'll be a little more accepting of circumstances. Good luck!