Thursday, September 20, 2007

No, I don't like math. Or science.

I'm in an engineering program at my school. Considering the title of this post, I can see why some might find this hard to believe. I mean, people change? And an eighth-grader might not know what they want to do with their life? GASP. Come on, get real. It's not like I don't take history or Lit. I just also happen take Intro to Engineering Design and Principles of Engineering. And I'm not very good at them. My strength is history. I'm known as that random engineering kid who wants virtually nothing to do with math. So I think it makes sense that I might not want to be defined by a choice of major that I made on a whim as an eighth-grader.

Naturally, some people don't realize that there are kids like me in engineering. I would say that about thirty to forty percent of kids at my school don't want to go into the area that they're enrolled in. I guess we tend to fly under the radar though, because today my Lit teacher made one of those statements that I get ALL THE TIME. At home and outside of school, that is. Because typically, teachers recognize that kids like me exist, but outsiders think that since I go to a "nerd school", I must fit the stereotype of an engineering geek. I am so sick of that attitude. At this point, I just want it to stop. It's not necessary, it's not true, and it hurts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, that is soooo my life. Spending time to get where you are, and realizing that it isn't what you actually want.

When I was like seven, I made a decision to start the violin- completely on a whim, like you said- and now, I'm stuck with a slightly above normal talent that I have no desire to use as a career(even though I do love playing and would love to be a pro. I just know that it's too high stress/intense/unstable of a job for me).

Yet, i still here comments from people telling me how good I am and to pursue music. When in realty, they know nothing about becoming a pro. and have no basis for comparing me to other pros.

which only makes me start to regret not wanting to play.

it hurts, that people are so quick to make a judgement about you based on a general category that you fit into, or are forced into, but don't fit, instead of actually taking time to understand who you are and what you're about.

TC