Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Locker


Unless you go to my school, you probably have not heard about the locker issues we've been having. In the past students have been able to choose their lockers outright, and then used a computer system to register themselves. After years of alleged problems with lockers, this year the administration has decided that they do not want to deal with students choosing their own. Of course, they know that assigning lockers randomly would cause a rebellion, and so we all received stickers with our name and homeroom printed on them. Each person received only one sticker. Said stickers were then placed on sign-up sheets with twelve spaces available on them. We finally received our lockers today, after a full week of lugging around all our textbooks, notebooks, and binders. Of course, some people lost the stickers. I'm hardly surprised--they were small, and probably got lost among all the books were carrying.

I recognize that the administration probably thinks that this system works better than the old one. However, not getting a locker until today was pretty annoying. We were told our locker numbers in homeroom, after I had already put my tennis bag in the locker room, with my only lock used to secure it. This morning, I had four classes in a row, with no free time until 11:40, so I still had to carry around my books for a good chunk of the day.

Now, of course, I get to reap the benefits associated with having a locker. For instance, my tennis bag is in there. It sort of fits. My water bottle is too tall for the shelf on top. It's on the bottom instead. And I doubt my laptop is going to fit. I haven't tried yet. If it does, it will only be diagonally, which could make it fairly annoying to fit other books in around it. But looking on the positive side, it's near where I planned to choose my locker. And it's not next to the hallway that now serves as our cafeteria.

Hopefully, next year they will decide that assigning lockers causes too many problems.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

just a quick note to say thanks for linking to whosthegrownup.com - i wondered how you found us. i'm intrigued to understand how our traffic is growing. best of luck with your blog. i think you'll enjoy having the opportunity to chronicle your adventures - the big ones and the mundane ones.... joan

Anonymous said...

perhaps in the future they will be better prepared to assign lockers to you. Perhaps mailing them to you printed on your schedule, like my school does would help organize this mess.

Ty c