Tuesday, March 24, 2009

In the news

Things that make me happy:
  • Health Insurers Ease Stance on Preexisting Conditions. The title doesn't really do this article justice, but executives from Blue Cross and Blue Shield are saying that they're okay with more regulation of the insurance industry. Finally. Maybe people will actually be able to get healthcare now. (Of course, this is in exchange for the insurance companies still existing. I think the government should basically insure everybody. Because I don't really trust the free market.)
  • Cash-Strapped States Relax Prison Policies. The death penalty is no more in New Mexico, and community service programs are taking the place of jail time in a couple of states, including New Jersey. I mean, it's sad that this is happening because the economy is failing miserably, and I know that less money for jails will hurt a lot of people--my aunt is a dietician for New York State, and does meal planning for inmates. But really. Does locking people up really do anything?
  • Contraception Pill Strictures Are Eased by a Judge. Yay reproductive freedom. Enough said.
Things that make me sad:

2 comments:

Jay said...

You're right, locking people up does absolutely nothing [productive]. We should burn them all and simultaneously solve the energy crisis. I'm sure they're not efficient to combust, but we've got a lot of them...

Your (un)Friendly Neighbourhood Cynic said...

That's a terrible idea!

Instead, we should cut them up and eat them! Solve the food crisis, not the energy crisis.