Monday, March 23, 2009

Why do I bother?

I had a math test on Friday. I studied integrals of polar functions for HOURS...only to find that they weren't on the test. The stuff I didn't study, assuming that he wouldn't test us on it since he had just taught it the day before? Yeah, that stuff made up more than two-thirds of the test. Fun.

I walked out of that room really upset. My teacher is famous for using incredibly difficult questions, only about a third of which can really be answered. But this test was photocopied from an actual AP test prep book. So I figured that everyone else, who I thought had studied more than I did, had done much better.

There were two sets of questions I couldn't understand, each based around a premise.

The first was whether the sum of 1/n converges. Don't make fun of me, I now know that this is basic (it diverges, for the normal people out there). But the test was the day after we had learned all the material, and I adn't had time to let it sink in.

The second was about bounds. My memory of my confusion is unclear, because I honestly don't see how I didn't get this. Basically, bounded series are not necessarily convergent. (see the sine function. any sine function.) But I did not know this, because I had no idea what bounded meant. I know, I know, but at the time it felt like there were options.

Together, there were between five and ten questions based around these two facts that I did not know. On a twenty-nine-question test.

I guessed correctly. For both of them.

And got the top score in the class.

I also got a 92 on that Lit presentation--the one during which I had a freaking panic attack.

Seriously. WHY DO I BOTHER.

No comments: