Friday, April 25, 2008

The Dreaded Vaction, Part One

Saturday, April 19
Wake up very very early to go to airport. Check in, go through security, get on plane.

The lines at Newark weren't bad at all for once. We didn't have any problems that they caused, at least. I panic for a minute when I realized I had lotion, Purell, AND chapstick in my carry-on, but my dad solved the problem for me: I took them out. Gasp.

I took the middle seat for the first time in my life (I'm a bit claustrophobic, the idea of it had always scared me), and immediately found that, rather counterintuitively, the middle has more legroom than the aisle. I don't think I'm ready for a window yet, even though I did look rather jealously at my sister leaning against the wall and sleeping.

Once we got onto the plane, we sat for awhile trying to not get bored. It worked for my little sister, but with my attention span, it didn't go so well. I didn't take out my iPod or laptop because I knew that I would only be allowed to use it for a few minutes. Eventually I managed to figure out that I could read the Continental magazine to at least not be fidgeting every .0000000001 seconds.

Just a few minutes before we took off, a flight attendant came walking down the aisle and handed my mom a boarding pass. Yep, she got upgraded. She was thrilled, obviously, but we were not, especially after the flight when she told us about the chocolate-chip cookies they served.

The rest of the flight was fine. I listened to Sara Bareilles and Linkin Park while reading a political thriller called The Zero Game, by Brad Meltzer. I liked it, but it was definitely in the form of a standard legal/political thriller.

When we landed in Las Vegas, we got our baggage (my bag was last, like it always is, for some reason), and got on the rental car shuttle. Our car was bigger than the ones we rent to go to Florida, which was good, because we then drove for five hours to get to the Grand Canyon.

On the way, we stopped at the Hoover Dam and in a little town called Seligman.

Seligman was so cute. We went to a diner that looked like it came straight out of Grease. The food was good and the waitress was so friendly. It was great.

I'll try to post pictures and stuff about the rest of the vaction tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, Seligman, my math teachers name is Ms. Seligman. lol. FYI-she does the middle school geometry now to, your teahcer retired or sumthin.

I thought you got special privileges at airports because of your mom and all, why the mention of lines and security? BTW there's nothing wrong with having three liquids/gels in your carry on, especially if one of them is chapstick, just so long as they fit in a 1 qut zip top bag. Anyway, did you know they can take a copy of the entire contents of your laptop or phone and archive it for a later date. And you like Hillary. URGH!

TC

postscript said...

Well, she is a frequent flier, but that doesn't mean much a lot of the time.

And the problem was that all the stuff was buried somewhere in my backpack. I had to do a lot of digging.

~ps