Wednesday, January 14, 2009

OMGZ!! Less sleep=more colds????

Really? You needed to publish an article about this?

From the NY Times:

People who got less than seven hours of sleep a night were almost three times more likely than those who slept eight hours or more to get sick after exposure to a cold virus, a new study has found.

Adults who spent a lot of time in bed tossing and turning were even more vulnerable, the researchers reported.

“The poorer your sleep, the worse off you are,” said Sheldon Cohen, a professor of psychology at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and first author of the study, which was published on Monday in The Archives of Internal Medicine. “That was the surprise.”
So my lack of sleep + fidgety-ness means that I shall get a cold.

And yes, I toss and turn ALL FREAKING NIGHT. The kids I have to share with at Model UN hate it. And it's a pain, because it means that more often than not, I wake up two minutes before my alarm goes off because I've kicked off my blankets.

But look:

Unfortunately, [some professor] said, people don’t have much control over their sleep efficiency.

That's superhelpful. Thanks. I'm more likely to get sick than someone who sleeps just as much as me, but I can do NOTHING about it. Wonderful.

1 comment:

Viviana said...

wow, lack of sleep makes you more likely to get sick, what a big surprise...-_-
well, idk if this will make you feel better, but i didn't even notice the fidgets at MUN...and i used to punch in bed.
hm...tried sleeping pills?