Saturday, January 3, 2009

January

January is a pretty big month for me. My History Day paper is due at the end of the month, I have a IB Lit practice comparison to write, plus eventually the actual IB paper, and there's a Model UN Conference starting on the twenty-ninth. Plus I take my driving test on Friday.

So I have all this stuff to do.

One thing that I find helps me to get stuff done is having a to-do list. It's odd, because I always have in my head what I need to get done anyway, but having the physical list, ordered by priority, doesn't give me a chance to wander around the house indecisive about what comes first.

Here are my goals for today:

1) Write at least two paragraphs of the Lit paper. In theory, this should not be difficult, because I already have a very detailed outline to work from. I've always found, though, that writing the paper takes longer than I expect it to.

2) Write one of the briefs for my Model UN committee. I'm on the Supreme Court. A friend, for Christmas, gave me Chemerinsky's Con Law tome. So my research consists of looking up the relevant sections in his book, skimming the Federalist Paper that deals with the issue, and reading the statue that applies. Notice that reading the actual Constitution isn't really part of that.

3) Try to figure out my focus for the History Day paper is going to be.

4) LEARN TO PARALLEL PARK.

If I focus, this should be doable. If I spend two hours reading the New York Times like I did last night at one a.m., I won't even come close to finishing.

The non-required things I want to do at some point, not necessarily today or tomorrow:

1) Read more Ibsen. I read Ghosts and A Doll's House while I was away. I want to reread Ghosts and possibly read the other plays in the book I have. Ibsen is a really cool writer. His characters are as dysfunctional as real people.

2) Finish Much Ado About Nothing. So far, it's not as funny as, say, Twelfth Night, but it is funny.

3) Catch up on The New Yorker? I'm two weeks behind, as usual.

I have a feeling that I'll be able to finish the Shakespeare this weekend, but I'm not sure about the others.

And by the way, people? I checked my analytics and I have at least twice as many visitors as I have commenters. Which kind of creeps me out.

6 comments:

CP said...

i love making lists! even if they don't necessarily help me :) i love reading shakespeare! good luck with everything.

Anonymous said...

I read this but I never comment...
You are so organized that it freaks me out about myself! In other words you're extremely efficient, that's a good thing...Makes me wonder what I've been doing with my time..
Mind if i ask what your lit topic is?

Viviana said...

Ah, parallel parking...my mom never actually learned it properly, and she still can't do it well...

Viviana said...

btw, how do you check your blog analytics?

postscript said...

Nikki~I'm comparing characters' attitudes towards modern elements of the setting and how they reflect he characters' views of change.

Viviana~My mom's a terrible parallel parker, too. And I use Google Analytics to track the visitors and stuff...i know there are other sites, too, though.

Anonymous said...

Don't you have your license already? and your Facebook said that you already learned. hmph.