Wednesday, March 26, 2008

mmm.

They are over. The midterms are done with. The grades are in. I have time to sit, to reflect, and to simply do nothing, let the mind wander.

I'm thrilled with one. Happy with one. Oh-so-slightly disappointed with two. And still left waiting for the sole grade remaining. I expect it to be solid.

And now, with all the time I have to reflect, I shall.

The tests were meant as a tool, both for us and for the teachers. We were promised that discrepancies between teachers and classes and other factors beyond our control would not be allowed to hurt us. The teachers complained, the administration cackled behind closed doors, and those caught in the middle resigned themselves to sarcasm.

As students, we had no choice. Realistically, there was no other way to do it. But the idealist that sits inside my head protests. A vote! she cries. Democracy! The realism takes over though, and I have almost--but not completely--convinced myself that these tests did have some value to them.

Cumulative knowledge is good. Long-term memory is good. It wasn't the tests themselves that bothered me, it was the indignity of the way they were administered.

But for now, I'm just trying to actually learn the material covered in class, rather than shoving facts into my brain for ten seconds.

At least, I can try to relax.

No comments: